TRAUMA INFORMED YOGA THERAPY
What is Truama Informed Yoga Therapy?
Yoga Therapy uses pranayama breathing/gentle physical postures to support optimal alignment (Asana) and meditation to assist individuals with utilizing natural healing processes to create balance in the body and mind. Yoga therapy can assist you with understanding the body-mind connection. You will learn how to:
- Create balance in the body and mind.
- Understand breathing (pranayama) and how it can assist you with reducing stress, regulating emotions and living fully present, moment to moment.
- Understand how restorative poses can create a sense of safety with the body and mind.
- Build emotional resilience.
- How to create safety with your body and mind through a trauma informed practice.
- How to hold a space/presence for emotional/physical healing
Yoga Therapy Information:
What is Mindfulness
“Mindfulness practice means that we commit fully in each moment to be present; inviting ourselves to interface with this moment in full awareness, with the intention to embody as best we can an orientation of calmness, mindfulness, and equanimity right here and right now.”
― Jon Kabat-Zinn, Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life
Benefits of Mindfulness
Mindful awareness allows us to observe our thoughts, feelings and behaviors and is an invitation to be fully present with our experiences. Mindfulness works hand in hand with acceptance and surrender. One of the biggest benefits that I have seen with my clients is that they feel empowered as they are able to become aware of their life, and make choices that benefit their healing as they learn to accept struggle and life experiences.
Benefits for mindfulness can include:
- Reduced stress
- Decreases depressive symptoms
- Increased focus and attention
- Increased perception and clarity
- Increased feelings of connection
- Feelings of stillness
Mindfulness/meditation are evidence-based practices that have been highly successful in assisting individuals with their recovery. Mindfulness can assist your mind to cope with anxiety, feelings of sadness, stress, pain and learn ways to cope with life stressors in a healthy way.
“You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.” Jon Kabat-Zinn